BENEFICIARY SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE (PEBLO) (MSS / Ellsworth AFB, SD)
Company: General Infomatics, Inc.
Posted on: April 28, 2021
Job DescriptionSUMMARY. This individual serves as the Physical
Evaluation Board Liaison Officer (PEBLO) for the medical treatment
facility (MTF) and its geographic area of responsibility. Provides
Disability Evaluation System (DES) guidance in accordance with
established DoD guidelines, , data collection, medical
coordination, Service member/commander/stakeholder advising, and
procedural work related to Medical Evaluation Board (MEB)
processing and Temporary Disability Retired List (TDRL)
reevaluations in accordance with applicable instructions,
regulations and directives. Liaison support is provided to active
duty and Reserve Component (RC) members (Air Force Reserve
Component (AFRC) and Air National Guard (ANG)) and commanders on
program requirements, military benefits, legal rights, and the
appeals process. Coordinates Aeromedical evacuation or other
patient travel requirements, fitness for duty determinations, line
of duty (LOD) and other program requirements related to the DES.
Provides Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) findings to service member
and medical staff. Tracks each DES case from referral to final
disposition. Guides the Service member throughout the DES
- Ability to plan, organize, and manage functions and staff
within an MTF to meet program objects. Knowledge of the military
healthcare organizational structure, major issues, policies,
procedures and operations related to the management of the
healthcare delivery systems.
- In-depth knowledge, experience, and training to handle and
solve complex cases that arise when addressing fitness for duty or
physical disability evaluation issues.
- Tact, diplomacy, and restraint in counseling and explaining
entitlements, benefits, and responsibilities to all customers.
- Effective interpersonal communication skills to effectively
accomplish the IDES process.
- Master of oral and written communication and customer service
principles, methods, practices and techniques analytic methods, to
include using research tools and statistical analysis and,
interpersonal relations practices.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
to motivate, train, and work effectively with a diverse workforce.
Must be able to draw realistic conclusions and recommend viable
- Ability to gather data from various sources, analyze data,
statistical analysis, prepare statistical reports and
recommendations for improvements.
- Skill in applying fact finding, analytical, and problem solving
methods and techniques.
- Knowledge of DES processing regulations, instructions,
procedures, and policies to assure timely case processing.
- Practical knowledge and understanding of the TRICARE
- Education. Associate Degree in business administration,
management or health care organizations from an accredited college
- Experience. Two years' experience as a PEBLO within the DoD
military health system in the last 6 years; or five years'
experience working in a civilian disability program; or two years'
experience as a VA Medical Service Coordinator (MSC).
- Work Environment/Physical Requirements. The work is primarily
sedentary. Requirements include prolonged walking, standing,
sitting or bending. PERFORMANCE OUTCOMES:
- Responsible for obtaining, assembling and forwarding all
required documents and records for active duty, AFRC and ANG to the
Veteran Affairs Medical Service Coordinator, the local MEB, the
IPEB, the FPEB and other IDES stakeholders in accordance with
- Ensures LOD processing is accomplished for each IDES case.
- Provides guidance to all ranks of military personnel from all
branches of the uniformed services, retirees, and families of those
being processed through the IDES program of their rights, benefits,
privileges, or obligations.
- Coordinates evaluation appointments; schedules follow-up
appointments and appropriate referrals related to benefits.
- When the Service member is incapacitated or incompetent for pay
purposes and unable to manage his/her own legal affairs, the PEBLO
provides guidance and assists the legal next-of-kin on the Service
member's rights and benefits.
- Serves as a liaison between the Service member, their
respective commander and a multi-disciplinary team of primary care
managers, other appropriate health care professionals, medical care
case managers, non-medical case managers (e.g., Recovery Care
Coordinators (RCC)), patient administration personnel, the Office
of the Airmen's Counsel (OAC), the PEB and the Military Department
Wounded Warrior Program liaison or advocate.
- Processes Review-in-Lieu-of (RILO) MEB cases for assignment
limitation codes as directed or required by AFPC/DPANM and in
accordance with established AF guidance.
- Receives and responds to inquiries from beneficiaries, DoD
Components, other agencies, and various interested parties.
- Provides guidance on activities with appropriate points of
contact throughout the Military Health System (MHS), the line of
the Air Force agencies, (i.e. Military Personnel Flights,
Comptroller, Air Force Personnel Center (AFPC), Transportation,
Aeromedical Evacuation) and the Department of Veterans Affairs
(i.e. Veterans Benefits Administration VBA and Veterans Health
Administration VHA) to best meet the member's needs for information
- Assists in preparing appeals, impartial medical reviews,
rebuttals, and coordinates the assignment of Service member's legal
- Updates local program documentation, i.e., patient handouts,
training documents, checklists, operating procedures, etc.
- Maintains and safeguards both hard copy and electronic medical
- Discloses medical information to authorized personnel in
accordance with Privacy Act of 1974 and Health Insurance
Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guidelines.
- Assists the medical professional staff and other staff members
on the regulatory and procedural aspects of profiling and
disability processing. Provides MEB orientation program and on the
job training for assigned staff personnel as required.
- Tracks all assigned cases, analyzes performance against
- Monitors/updates cases in VTA or other tracking tool as the
case progresses through the IDES process.
- Analyzes available data using various statistical analytic
tools, measuring means, trends, statistical deviations, constructs
diagrams, histograms, charts, etc., to convey IDES performance to
- Provides reports, briefings, training and respond to inquiries
from senior leaders.
- Coordinates patient travel for members opting to appeal to the
FPEB. Assures necessary arrangements are made for members to travel
on temporary duty status to and from other locations as
- Initiates actions to facilitate Emergency Family Member Travel
for Very Seriously Ill and Injured Service members.
- Advises service member and medical staff on PEB findings.
- Assists in preparing appeals and rebuttals and coordinates the
assignment of legal counsel.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Keywords: General Infomatics, Inc., Portsmouth , BENEFICIARY SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE (PEBLO) (MSS / Ellsworth AFB, SD), Sales , Portsmouth, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!