Repair Technician II
Posted on: July 7, 2019
FirstLight is seeking a Repair Technician I or II to join our
growing team! The Repair Technician provides first level technical
support to residential and business clients within the Repair
Network Operations Center. The NOC Technician I works
cross-functionally with customers, internal resources, equipment
vendors, carriers, and field operations to resolve issues in
production network and telecommunications systems. Works under
general supervision, possesses and demonstrates basic knowledge and
proficiency required to perform assigned job functions and
responsibilities, may require training and detailed instructions
for assigned tasks as necessary. This position has the flexibility
to offer weekend, night, and day shifts. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND
- Investigate, document and diagnose trouble calls to resolve
service affecting issues across multiple service platforms
including but not limited to DSL, T1, Carrier Ethernet and Internet
- Participate in a technical call queue. Responsible for
documenting information on all incoming calls in a ticketing system
to track issue counts and response and resolution time.
- Trouble ticket management (create, resolve, escalate and manage
through to resolution)
- Develop extensive knowledge of the Company's products and
services to better assist customers.
- Oversee and participate in network maintenance with support
teams; ensure customers are informed of maintenance activities and
confirm service restoration after completion of maintenance.
- Troubleshoot network events and outages on equipment including:
IP routers, ethernet switches, Optical Network Terminals (ONT),
M13/SONET multiplexors, DSL and T1 aggregators, etc.
- Operate in a 24 X 7 Network Operations Center; this includes
shift work and off-peak coverage. Updates job knowledge by
participating in educational opportunities; reading technical
publications, participating in online self-paced training and
- Enhance department and organization reputation by accepting
ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring
opportunities to add value to the company. QUALIFICATIONS,
KNOWLEDGE, and SKILLS:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
Detail oriented, highly organized.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to
work nights and weekends as necessary.
- Ability to follow instructions, take notes and perform tasks
- Basic knowledge of Ethernet and IP required. Successful
candidate will have a fundamental understanding of layers 1-4 of
the OSI Model.
- Familiarity with Network Edge, Transport and Access
technologies (SONET, DSL, GPON, Active Ethernet).
- Familiarity with one of the following vendors platforms is a
plus: Adtran, Ciena, Cisco, Calix, Telco Systems or Tellabs.
- Ability to create, test, document and follow processes.
- Ability to work on-call coverage within scheduled rotation
between 7PM to 7AM
- All shifts scheduled Monday thru Friday weekly EDUCATION and/or
- Bachelor's Degree in a technical field with 2-3 years relevant
telecommunications experience or Associate's Degree in a technical
field with network related coursework
- 1-5 years relevant telecommunications experience. CERTIFICATES,
- CCNA or similar level industry certification preferred but not
required. We offer a competitive base salary as well as an
outstanding benefits package including health, dental, vision, and
life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, 401(k) with
company match, tuition reimbursement, paid training, and paid time
Keywords: FirstLight, Portsmouth , Repair Technician II, Professions , Portsmouth, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!