Patient Care Technician
Company: Fresenius Medical Center
Posted on: January 24, 2023
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:Functionsas part of the Inpatient Services
Hemodialysis Health Care team in providing safe and effective
dialysis therapy for assigned patients inaccordance with FMCNA
policies, procedures, and training and in compliance with
regulations set forth by the corporation, state, and
federalagencies.PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND
RESPONSIBILITIES:Providespatient care under the directsupervision
of Hemodialysis Registered Nurse for assignedpatient(s) in the
dialysissuite in the acutesetting; excluding Intensive Care
- Responsible for reporting and documenting all new and unusual
incidents, information, complaints, or problems to the RN.
- Promotes andassists in themaintenance of a safe and
cleanworking environment. Supportsthe FMCNA commitment to the
Quality Enhancement Program (QEP) and Quality Assessment and
Performance Improvement (QAI) Activities; including those related
to patientsatisfaction and actively participates in process
improvement activities that enhance the likelihood that patients
will achievethe FKC Quality Enhancement Goals (QEP).
- With documented competency and proficiency may set up and prime
equipment as directed by the FreseniusNurse for renal replacement
therapies(hemodialysis, continuous renal replacement and peritoneal
- Will be responsible for assuring the dialysis machine hasbeen
set up, tested and found to be safe fordialysis treatment in
accordance with manufacturer instructions for use and company
policy and procedures.
- Welcomes assignedpatients and inquires as to their well-being
since their last treatment. Reports any complaints or observations
to the FMCNA RN.
- Obtains necessary pre and post treatment vital signs and
weight. Reportsunusual findingsto FMCNA RN.
- Reports any difficulties in cannulation to FMCNA RN as
permitted by state requirements; or unusual findings to FMCNA
- Responsible for accuratedocumentation of information related to
the patienttreatment. This information is documented appropriately
in the individual patient record to include the hospital Electronic
Medical System (EMS) and the Acute Care Electronic System
- Responsible for calculating and entry of individual
patients'dialysis machineprogramming for Ultrafiltration (UF) goal;
treatmenttime; Sodium (Na) modeling; and UF modeling as
- Responsible for ensuringappropriate safety alarmsare enabled
including narrowvenous limits (NVL 160).
- Collects, labels specimens and ensurestimely delivery to
laboratory per facilitypolicy.
- Evaluates intradialytic problemsand provides intervention as
prescribedby physician's order or as directedby FMCNA RN.
Monitorspatient's responseto dialysis therapyand report any unusual
findingsto FMCNA RN.
- Obtains vital signs prior to reinfusion; performing all
relevant functionsnecessary for the discontinuation of treatment-
- Reports any change or unusual findingsto FMCNA RN.
- Evaluates patient prior to termination of venousaccess -
standing and sitting blood pressures prior to termination of
venousaccess. Obtains hemostasis and appliesappropriate dressings.
Evaluates the patientprior to dischargeand reports any
unusualfindings to the FMCNA RN
- Review and comply with the Code of Business Conduct and all
applicable company policies and procedures, local, state and
federal laws and regulations.
- Assist with various projectsas assigned by direct supervisor or
- Other duties as assigned.Additional responsibilities may
include focuson one or moredepartments or locations. See applicable
addendum for department or locationspecific functions.PHYSICAL
DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- The physical demands and work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee encounters
while performing the essential functionsof this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
- Day-to-day work includes personalcomputer work while
standingand sitting, interaction with patients, facility staff and
- The position requires travel between assignedfacilities and
variouslocations within the community.
- The work environment is characteristic of a healthcare facility
with air temperature control and moderatenoise levels.
- May be exposedto infectious and contagious
- The position providesdirect patient care that regularlyinvolves
heavy liftingand moving of patients, and assisting with ambulation.
Equipment aids and/or coworkers may provideassistance.
- This position requires frequent,prolonged periodsof standing
and the employee must be able to bend over. The employeemay
occasionally be required to assist in moving machinesand equipment
of up to 200 lbs., and may lift chemicaland water solutions of up
to 30 lbs. up as high as 5 feet.
- There is a two-person assist program and material assist
devices for the heavier items.EDUCATION:
- High School Diploma requiredEXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- None required. At least 6 months' experience is preferred in
relatedField (EMT, SurgicalTechnicians, Army, Phlebotomists, and
- Must obtain CCHT within 18 monthsof hire.
- Effective communication skills - both verbaland written.
- Employees are required to take the Ishihara's ColorBlindness
test as a conditionof employment. Note that: Failing the Ishihara
Test for Color Blindnessdoes not preclude employment. The Company
will consider whetherreasonable accommodations can be made.EO/AA
Orientation/Gender IdentityFresenius Medical Care North America
maintains a drug-free workplace in accordance with applicable
federal and state laws.
Keywords: Fresenius Medical Center, Portsmouth , Patient Care Technician, Professions , Portsmouth, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!