Safety Service Patroller
Company: Elizabeth River Tunnels
Posted on: August 3, 2022
"ERC covers the commuting cost of tolls at the Elizabeth River
Tunnels for our employees."
$19.00 hourly rate
Provides incident management assistance, traffic control and
motorist assistance for the Downtown/Midtown Tunnels under the
general supervision of the Traffic Management Supervisor or other
supervisory/management-level positions within the organization.
* In an effort to provide a safe work environment, ERC has required
all employees to be fully vaccinated unless a medical or religious
accommodation is requested and approved.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
* Performs field tasks associated with changing tires, issuing
fuel, assisting motorists, directing and controlling traffic, in a
safe and professional manner using appropriate traffic control
techniques (hand signals, whistle, voice, etc.).
* Assists with the training of Patrollers.
* Provides guidance to others in support of emergency response.
* Compiles and submit concise, accurate reports to the
* Observes and report all unusual occurrences.
* Remains alert, attentive and highly visible while on station.
* Assists Law Enforcement personnel, fire & rescue units, and
maintenance personnel as needed in emergencies and routine
* Provides security to the facility.
* Maintains professional demeanor and uniform appearance.
* Uses sound judgment and appropriate safety techniques to prevent
unauthorized persons and vehicles from entering tunnel.
* Provides Control Room with up-to-date information regarding
incidents/accidents and personnel/equipment needed.
* Keeps Safety Service vehicle clean and perform daily safety
* Performs all duties in a safe manner and adhere to all laws
governing vehicle operation; maintain safe driving record with zero
* Performs other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Requires completion of a high school diploma, general education
degree (GED).A minimum of 2 years of experience in traffic
operations, safety procedures, emergency response, and/or related
functions. Prior experience working with, in or around heavy
traffic is preferred.
* Strong interpersonal skills; ability to develop and maintain
cooperative working relationships with others.
* Good customer service skills
* Ability to give oral instructions or directions
* Effective oral and written communication skills
* Ability to work under pressure
* Ability to remain calm and professional during routine and
* Must be at least 18 years old
* Ability to obtain a VDOT Security Clearance
* Valid Virginia Driver's License
* Ability to pass a Criminal History Background Check and drug
This job is performed in at an Inspection Station and/or outdoors
and requires frequent sitting, with occasional walking, standing,
bending, and reaching.
This job requires monitoring of traffic and hazard recognition. The
employee must have distant visual acuity of at least 20/40
(Snellen) in each eye without corrective lenses or visual acuity
separately corrected to 20/40 (Snellen) or better with corrective
lenses, distant binocular acuity of at least 20/40 (Snellen) in
both eyes with or without corrective lenses, field of vision of at
least 70 in the horizontal Meridian in each eye, and the ability to
recognize the colors of traffic signals and devices showing
standard red, green, and amber.
This job requires the use of a push-to-talk radio as the primary
means of communication with the Control Room. The employee should
be able to perceive a forced whispered voice in the better ear at
not less than 5 feet with or without the use of a hearing aid or,
if tested by use of an audiometric device, does not have an average
hearing loss in the better ear greater than 40 decibels at 500 Hz,
1,000 Hz, and 2,000 Hz with or without a hearing aid when the
audiometric device is calibrated to American National Standard
(formerly ASA Standard) Z24.5-1951.
Some heavy lifting is expected. Exertion of up to 35 lbs of force
may be required.
This job is performed primarily indoors but will frequently require
working outdoors. Exposure to loud noises, dust, dirt, heat,
sparks, oil and smoke is possible. Working in and around high
traffic volumes is also likely during emergency response
situations. Work may be performed in a variety of climate
conditions, including but not limited to severe cold and extreme
He/she must be able to navigate the jobsite and is expected to be
able to comply with all safety regulations on the jobsite.
This position is designated as essential and, as such, all duties
associated with the job are required during emergency situations
which may include but not limited to inclement weather, disaster
response, and emergency operations. The position location is
subject to change according to the needs of the organization.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
and level of work performed by people assigned to this
classification. They are not intended to be a complete list of all
responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so
classified. Duties and responsibilities may be added or changed as
deemed appropriate by management at any time.
Elizabeth River Crossings OpCo, LLC is an equal opportunity
employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit
discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (gender), age,
national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental
disability, military or veteran status, medical condition, genetic
information, sexual orientation or any other category protected by
federal, state or local laws.
Keywords: Elizabeth River Tunnels, Portsmouth , Safety Service Patroller, Other , Portsmouth, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!