RN-Registered Nurse - Cardiac ICU
Company: Bon Secours
Posted on: September 23, 2022
Thank you for considering a career at Bon Secours!Eligible for
$20,000 Sign On Bonus!Summary of Primary Functions
The Critical Care Registered Nurse (RN) provides, coordinates,
plans, and evaluates the care of the patient in collaboration with
the interdisciplinary team and within established the nursing
process framework. Evaluation is done through data collection,
assessment, identification, and prioritization of patient
problems/needs including evaluating process/outcome of nursing
care, interventions, and teaching. The RN coordinates, provides,
and directs patient teaching activities and coordinates the care
provided by health team members.
Essential Job Functions
- Conducts and analyzes initial and ongoing patient assessment,
creates a plan of care, implements treatment, and evaluates
- Administers medications in a safe manner consistent with the
State of Practice and Bon Secours Mercy Health policies and
- Serves as point of contact for patients' care coordination
throughout hospital departments.
- Acts as a patient safety advocate by participating in ongoing
quality improvement in the department and collaborates with
spiritual care, palliative, and ethics when needed
- Serves as a point person for care coordination for family
members or caregivers.
- Performs nursing care associated with life supporting
technology/modalities may include but not limited to: ventilator
management, CRRT, IABP, Impella, ECMO
- Performs hemodynamic monitoring
- Clinically manages critically ill patients with multi-system
organ failure and/or multisystem trauma
- Using the AACN Synergy Model, restores, supports, promotes,
rehabilitates, or palliates to maintain the physiologic,
psychologic, and psychosocial stability of patients across the
- Synthesizes and prioritizes information in order to take
immediate and decisive evidence-based, patient-focused action using
clinical judgement and clinical inquiry.
- Anticipates and responds with confidence and adapts to rapidly
changing patient conditions.
- Responds to the unique needs of the patients and families
coping with unanticipated illness or injury and treatment and
advocate for their choices in quality of life.
- BSMH nurses are expected to practice and deliver care in
accordance with the core concepts and intention of the BSMH Nursing
Professional Practice Model.
This document is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities,
skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with
the job. Employees may be required to perform other job-related
duties as required by their supervisor, subject to reasonable
Current RN license in state they are working or covered by compact
BLS Basic Life Support (preferred upon hire, must obtain from
approved source prior to direct patient care)
ACLS Advanced Cardiac Life Support (required within 6 months of
TNCC Trauma Nursing Core Course (preferred)
CCRN Critical Care Registered Nurse (preferred)
PCCN Progressive Care Certified Nurse (preferred)
RN-BC Registered Nurse - Board Certified (preferred)
TCRN Trauma Certified Registered Nurse (preferred)
National Institute of Health (NIH) Stroke Certification
Bachelor of Science Nursing (preferred)
1 year of RN experience (required)
6 months RN experience in a Med/Surg, Critical Care, Stepdown, or
Emergency Department Unit (preferred)
EPIC Electronic Health Record (EHR) training (preferred)
Critical Care Course (preferred)
- Assigns patient care according to the nursing skill, knowledge,
and scope of practice of staff.
- Orients, facilitates learning experience, and provides
education (based upon quality improvement indicators, outcomes, and
implementation) to nursing staff and others.
- Possesses clinical knowledge, skills, and competency to provide
evidence-based patient care in accordance with the current
standards of practice, policy and procedure, and BSMH mission.
- Performs comprehensive assessment of patient's clinical
condition and psychosocial needs of the patient and their
- Safely and efficiently develops, implements, and prioritizes
plan of care.
- Application of the nursing process in patient care
- Assesses patient's physical and emotional responses to
treatment to evaluate effectiveness of intervention and patient
outcomes; revises plan of care accordingly.
- Assists patient and family in coping with patient's
- Collaborates with others in the delivery of coordinated patient
- Strong interpersonal and verbal/written communication
- Applies cultural diversity and inclusion principles when caring
for patients and their support resources.
- Recognizes own limitations and seeks assistance and acquires
information to perform safely.
- Advances personal and professional growth through participation
in educational programs, current literature, in-services, and
- Exhibits professionalism through accountability for own and
- Integrates cost-effective measures into practice and models
effective stewardship of available resources.
- Practices self-care and cultivates resilience in conflict and
- Protects the safety and privacy of all persons.
- Understanding and utilization of office and clinical
- Ability to communicate with patients in a manner they can
understand considering their personal preferences.
- Compassionate, relationship-based approach to help find meaning
in illness, suffering, pain, and existence.
- Remains calm, adaptive, and collective during an
- Assists with insertion intra-aortic balloon pumps, chest tubes,
- Assesses patients through hemodynamic monitoring.
- Assists with insertion of transvenous pacing/temporary
- Administers means for conscious sedation.
- Knowledge of advanced respiratory modalities.
- Manages nursing care of the patient with a Swan-Ganz
Periods of high stress and fluctuating workloads may occur
May be exposed to physical altercations and verbal abuse
May be required to use physical restraints
May be exposed to high noise levels and bright lights
May be exposed to limited hazardous substances or body fluids*
May be exposed to human blood and other potentially infectious
May have periods of constant interruptions
- Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal
precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and
learn the policies concerning infection control.
Lifting/Carrying (0-50 lbs.): 34-66%
Lifting/Carrying (50-100 lbs.) 34-66%
Push/Pull (0-50 lbs.) 34-66%
Push/Pull (50-100 lbs.) 34-66%
Additional Physical Requirements/Hazards
Manual dexterity (eye/hand coordination)
Perform shift work
Maneuver weight of patients
Hear alarms/telephone/audio recorder
Reach above shoulder
Repetitive arm/hand movements
Acuity - far
Acuity - near
Use of latex products
Exposure to toxic/caustic/chemicals/detergents
Exposure to moving mechanical parts
Exposure to dust/fumes
Exposure to potential electrical shock
Exposure to x ray/electromagnetic energy
Exposure to high pitched noises
Gaseous risk exposure
Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care
appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her
Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development
of the life span and possesses the ability to assess data
reflective of the patient's status and interprets the appropriate
information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative
to his or her age, specific needs and to provide the care needed as
described in departmental policies and procedures.
Adults (18-64 years)
Geriatrics (65 years and older)Bon Secours is an equal opportunity
employer.Many of our opportunities reward* your hard work with:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- Employer contributions to retirement savings plan when
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
- Benefits offerings vary according to employment statusScheduled
Weekly Hours:36Work Shift:NightsDepartment:Coronary Care Unit (CCU)
- Surgery ICU - MaryviewAll applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to race, color, national origin,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic
information, or protected veteran status, and will not be
discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you'd like to
view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for
Mercy Health - Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours - Franklin,
Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are
Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employers, please email
firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are an individual with a disability
and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the
employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition
Team at email@example.com.
Keywords: Bon Secours, Portsmouth , RN-Registered Nurse - Cardiac ICU, Healthcare , Portsmouth, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!