Dental Assistant - Nortfolk, VA
Company: Matrix Providers
Posted on: September 12, 2022
Matrix Providers - Caring for America's military family.Not just
leading the way, leading the industry. Your success is our
business.Matrix Providers is hiring a Dental Assistant to join our
team of talented professionals who provide health care services to
our Military Service Members and their families in Naval Medical
Clinic Portsmouth, VA.
- Employment Status: Full-time
- Compensation: This is an hourly position compensated at $18.89
- Schedule: Monday to Friday, 8.5 or 9 hours shifts between the
hours of 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., including an uncompensated 30
minutes or 1-hour meal break, depending on shift length.
- Benefits: Competitive financial package with a comprehensive
insurance package including health, dental, vision, and life
coverage. Click here to learn about our benefits packages.
- Accrued Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Paid Holidays (Outlined in Handbook)
- 401(k) Plan
Requirements: The Dental Assistant must have and meet the
- Degree: Certificate.
- Education: Successful completion of one of the following:
- Certificate or Associate Degree as a dental
assistant/technician from a program accredited by the Commission on
Dental Accreditation (CODA) of the American Dental Association
(ADA) and 12 months of experience within the preceding 36
- Certification from a military dental technician or dental
assistant school and 12 months of experience within the preceding
- Certification from a Red Cross Dental Assistant course and 12
months of experience within the preceding 36 months.
- 36 months of experience within the preceding 60 months as a
dental assistant in private practice or a military clinic.
- Membership in good standing with the American Association of
Dental Assistants with required continuing education and 12 months
of experience within the preceding 36 months.
- Graduation from a state-accredited program for dental
assistants or dental technology within the preceding 12
- All training must have included a course in radiation physics;
radiation biology; radiation health, safety, and protection; X-ray
films and radiographic film quality; radiographic techniques;
darkroom and processing techniques; film mounting; and, digital
radiographic processing techniques.
- Certification: Certified in radiography as required by 42 CFR
- Experience: Six months of experience as a Dental Assistant
after graduation.Job Summary:
- Participate in performance improvement activities.
- Practice aseptic techniques as necessary. Comply with infection
control guidelines to include the proper handling, storage, and
disposal of infectious wastes, and the use of universal precautions
to prevent the spread of infection.
- Function with an awareness and application of safety
- Perform efficiently in emergency patient situations following
established protocols, remaining calm, informing appropriate
persons, and documenting events. Anticipate potential
problems/emergencies and make appropriate interventions. Notify
supervisor, director, or other designated person regarding problems
that the HCW is unable to manage.
- Apply an awareness of legal issues in all aspects of patient
care and strive to manage situations in a reduced risk manner.
- Participate in the implementation of the Family Advocacy
Program as directed. Participation shall include, but not be
limited to, appropriate medical examination, documentation, and
- Exercise awareness and sensitivity to patient/significant
others' rights, as identified within the Medical Treatment
- Maintain an awareness of responsibility and accountability for
own professional practice.
- Participate in continuing education to meet own professional
- Attend and/or comply with all annual training classes required
by the Command, to include but not limited to online annual
training provided by the Medical Treatment Facility: disaster
training, infection control, Sexual Harassment, Bloodborne
Pathogens, Fire and Safety, Chemical, Biological, Radiological,
Nuclear and Explosives (CBRNE), and all other required
- Actively participate in the command's Performance Improvement
Program. Participate in meetings to review and evaluate the care
provided to patients, identify opportunities to improve the care
delivered, and recommend corrective action when problems
- Participate in the provision of in-service training to clinic
staff members. Provide training and/or
direction as applicable to supporting government employees (e.g.,
hospital corpsmen, students, etc.).
- Attend and participate in various meetings as directed.
- Perform timely, accurate, and concise documentation of patient
- Operate and manipulate automated systems such as CHCS, AHLTA,
ADS, Essentris, MHS Genesis and Clinical Information System (CIS),
participate in clinical staff Performance Improvement (PI) and Risk
Management (RM) functions, as prescribed by the Commander. Maintain
DoD email account as directed. The healthcare worker shall be
responsive to all email and voicemail communications.
- Exercise appropriate delegation of tasks and duties in the
direction and coordination of health care team members, patient
care, and clinic activities.
- Maintain documentation of all treatment provided in accordance
with clinic directives, and prepare such records and reports as may
be required. All records and reports must be legible. Abbreviations
must be only those listed in local instructions
- Performs duties in providing assistance in one or more phases
of complex/difficult restorative, prosthodontic, oral surgical,
endodontic, or periodontal treatment. Receives and schedules
patients for treatment.
- Obtains and records the related medical history of the patient.
Charts examination and treatment information. Records information
- Sterilizes instruments, materials, and equipment; prepares
surgical trays. Maintains dental equipment in a clean and operative
- Assists dentist at chairside. Performs intra-oral procedures as
directed by the dentist. Takes preliminary impressions for study
models, removes sutures, places, and removes rubber dams,
perio-packs, matrix bands, and wedges.
- Relays the dentist's instructions to the patient for
post-treatment care. Instructs patient in proper dental techniques,
care of appliances, and causes of dental decay.
- Operates dental X-ray equipment to take intra and extra-oral
radiographs. Maintains, cleans, and performs minor repairs on X-ray
equipment and materials.
- Pours and trims models from impressions, and constructs custom
impression trays. Maintains a variety of recurring reports related
to dental activities.Matrix Providers is an equal opportunity
employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or
protected veteran status. For our EEO Policy Statement, please
click here.Matrix Providers endeavors to make
www.matrixproviders.com accessible to all users. If you would like
to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need
assistance completing the application process, please contact our
Recruiting Hotline Number, 1-877-807-8277, TTY LINE, 385-722-8109.
This contact information is for accommodation requests only and
cannot be used to inquire about the status of
Keywords: Matrix Providers, Portsmouth , Dental Assistant - Nortfolk, VA, Healthcare , Portsmouth, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!