Correctional Medicine RN Nurse Supervisor Needed in Portsmouth, VA
Posted on: January 12, 2020
Nurse Manager opening in Portsmouth, Virginia. This and other
nursing administrator jobs brought to you by NursingJobCafe.com
Overview Our Nurse Supervisor is a registered Professional Nurse.
Responsible and accountable for direct supervision of the total
health care delivery system in assigned nursing unit of facility,
in conjunction with the delivery of patient care through the
process of collecting health status data, nursing diagnosis goal
setting, planning, implementation and evaluation. Directs and
guides patient teaching and ensures ancillary personnel provide
only those services which they are prepared or qualified to
perform. Qualifications Education:
- Graduation from an accredited School of Nursing Experience:
- One (1) or more years clinical experience
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse within the State
- Current CPR Certification Responsibilities
- Reviews nursing plans to ensure data collected, nursing
diagnoses, and proposed nursing care plans are relative and confirm
with authorized policy and procedures.
- Reviews medical records to ensure nursing practice provided is
within boundaries of State guidelines and all nursing recordings
are in legible SOAP format to include the date, time, signature and
- Ensures all referrals for consultation, treatment or resolution
of problems are valid and applicable to the documented nursing
- Monitors the nursing service, ensuring the provision of
progressive patient care plans, employing the total team approach
including patient teaching and self-care.
- Assists the DON to ensure that the technical and clinical
skills of the Registered Nurses are current that they function
within the "scope of their licensure, and nursing actions are not
delegated to another provider for which that person is not prepared
- Follows through and documents all findings, corrections or
counseling for all nursing incidents, medication errors, patient
complaints and forwards to the Director of Nursing for
- Identifies potential problems, establishes priorities,
initiates effective problem solving based on clinical knowledge and
informs Director of Nursing of proposed corrective actions.
- Ensures Director of Nursing is informed of any concerns raised
by the nursing staff regarding the questionable lack of appropriate
medical intervention for the realization of established patient
- Maintains composure in stressful situations, aware of own
limitations and seeks guidance as necessary from the Director of
- Assumes administrative and clinical call on a scheduled basis
- In the absence of the Director of Nursing, will assume the
responsibility of his/her position when requested.
- Develops monthly staffing schedule for review and approval by
the Director of Nursing. Ensures the staffing levels adhere to the
contractual requirements and staff requests for vacation or special
time off is granted whenever possible.
- Assists the DON as needed to ensure an accurate account of
monthly staffing and statistics as required by contract.
- Assists in the orientation and on-the-job training for all new
employees assigned to the unit.
- Ensures employees are assigned duties and responsibilities to
the level of their expertise, licensure or certification.
- As delegated by the Director of Nursing, annually evaluates
performance of supervised staff according to established policy and
- As assigned conducts staff meetings for all supervised health
care providers to identify problems, propose solutions, set
- Assists in the collection of monthly statistics as
- Reviews, monitors, and maintains perpetual inventory of all
contraband and tool counts; investigates and reconciles any
discrepancies and reports findings to the Director of Nursing.
- Cleanliness, maintenance, sanitation and appearance of unit and
appropriately notifies security of any infractions needing
correction or attention.
- Coordinates patient care with other departments, to include but
not limited to, intake admission, transfers, infirmary admissions,
off-site hospital admission, in-house referrals, off-site
referrals, periodic and annual physicals, mandatory release,
parole, and patient teaching.
- Assists the DON in ensuring that appropriate levels of stock
for pharmacy, medical supplies and laboratory supplies are
- Provides for preventive maintenance for all medical equipment
as appropriate, and initiates procedure for repair as
- Assists in the maintenance of a professional atmosphere on the
nursing unit as well as a high standard of patient care.
- Attends monthly institutional staff meetings as directed by the
DON or Administrator.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain security clearance.
- Must be able to apply principles of critical thinking to a
variety of practical and emergent situations and accurately follow
standardized procedures that may call for deviations.
- Must be able to apply sound judgment beyond a specific set of
instructions and apply knowledge to different factual
- Must be alert at all times; pay close attention to
- Must be able to work under stress on a regular or continuous
- Post orders, if applicable, per site contract.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Wellpath is an
Keywords: WellPath, Portsmouth , Correctional Medicine RN Nurse Supervisor Needed in Portsmouth, VA, Healthcare , Portsmouth, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!